I have always looked for alternative forms of relief for any medical issue I am facing. I am not a big fan of medication unless it is absolutely necessary.
My diagnosis of Rheumatoid Arthritis came after a long period of extreme pain, particularly in my knees and hips.
In the weeks leading up to my diagnosis, I could barely walk, and I could not get comfortable at night to sleep. Seriously, lying down was so ridiculously painful. My mom brought me through a wheat bag to help alleviate the pain, and it did help.
The other benefit I found from using it, however, was a huge reduction in anxiety at night. When I was no longer in pain, I still brought the wheat bag to bed with me (it even comes on vacation with me).
The combination of weight and heat really makes a difference to night-time anxiety. In Summer I don’t bother heating it and it still helps.
Because this is the internet… here is my disclaimer about Wheat Bags.
- This isn’t medical advice, this is my opinion.
- If you make a Wheat Bag yourself, be careful.
- If you heat a Wheat Bag, be careful.
- If you use a Wheat Bag, be careful.
- If you have any medical condition that you are seeing a Health Care Practitioner for, please speak to them.
DIY Wheat Bag
I can’t sew. Well, I suppose I could if I really put my mind to it because I believe we can do anything. But I am lazy so here are a few tutorials by other clever people on how to make one for yourself.
I don’t make anything from the referral to these two websites.
Daisynics Recipes & DIY Crafts
A super simple to follow video, the only thing I would add in is she says “any material you have” but … please make sure that the material is natural (cotton, linen or hemp) and avoid things like polyester which can melt
You can find her on Facebook here
If you prefer to read, instructable also has a super easy to follow tutorial by Lizzie Charlton which uses rice instead of wheat.
There are 8 easy steps to follow, including some prep regarding adding the essential oils you would like to use.
Buy a Wheat Bag
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Pink Tartan Luxury Unscented Microwave Cotton Wheat Bag
- A cotton tartan fabric. Unscented microwave wheat bag. Used for hot and cold therapy. Re-usable hot pack for aches and pains.
- The wheat pack is from a colourful new range of products made exclusively by us. The wheat bag is filled with wheat from Norfolk, England.
- Wheat bags are filled with wheat which when heated may appear damp for first few uses, can be towel dried.
- A natural drug-free solution for pain relief. Recommended by therapists for pain, injuries, aches and relaxation.
- Gently heat by microwave or cool in a freezer, shaped to mould itself to any part of the body, making it easy to target the pain or therapy
Amazing Health is a family run business in the UK.
The Original Microwaveable Herbal Heat Pack
- The soft aroma of lavender essential oil combined with the gentle radiation of heat is sure to provoke deep relaxation and ease stubborn aches and pains.
- Fully microwavable.
- Luxurious durable fabric.
- Simply warm in the microwave to release the soothing and relaxing lavender fragrance and use as a hot compress on sprains, strains, aches, pains anywhere on your body.
- Complies to British Safety standard BS 8433:2004